Scouts Canada has an exciting full time, seasonal opportunity for a Camp Director to join the Greater Toronto Council at Haliburton Scout Reserve (HSR) (Camp) starting during the month of February and ending in September. Reporting to the Operations Manager, Property Accreditation, you will be part of a team which supports Scouting programs and you coordinate the: customer service, retail services, business services, programs, food services, site usage, maintenance compliance and promotion of HSR; to ensure the highest degree of safety and enjoyment by all facility users. This position requires that you live on site during the summer camp season (accommodations provided). Please note that our camps are pet and smoke free. Do you bring a positive attitude to work each day? Are you passionate about making a difference in the lives of youth? You might just be the next Camp Director at the Haliburton Scout Reserve.
Scouts Canada promises youth, parents and the community at large that “It Starts with Scouts”. Scouts aims to provide youth with opportunities to experience new things and develop into capable and well-rounded individuals.
Your to-do list with change daily, but your main responsibilities are:
- Managing and directing guests at sites
- Supporting and providing leadership for all camp programs
- Promoting the camp and its programs
- Supervising camp staff and assisting volunteers
- Reviewing monthly operational expenses
- Assisting in the recruitment of summer staff
- Supervising office operations
- Managing staffing and inventory for the store and shop operations
- Working with food services staff to ensure appropriate use of resources when preparing meals for staff and guests
- Liaise and provide information to camp staff, council leadership, members, volunteers and guests
- Providing support and assistance to on-site medical staff
- Ensuing camp facilities, operations and equipment are in good condition at all times
- Reviewing and approving tenders for work to be completed by outside contractors
- Continually looking for process improvement opportunities for current and future camping seasons
- Ensuring all health and safety, public health and recreational camp act legislation are being adhered to at all times
Education, Experience & Skills
- Post-secondary education in a related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience in recreational programming or education
- Proven supervisory experience
- Expert knowledge of outdoor camping, experiences and skills
- Understanding of applicable fire safety, environmental, health and safety code
- General knowledge of food services
- Possess a valid drivers licence – able to provide a clean drivers abstract
- Small boat / pleasure craft operators license
- Standard First Aid and CPR
- Firearms license considered an asset
- Proficient in MS Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook
- Solid, demonstrated relationship building skills, a friendly manner and the ability to deal with all levels of staff, volunteers and external visitors
- Reliable, punctual and dependable with a proven ability to work independently as well as to perform effectively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid project management skills and ability to coordinate, plan and schedule multiple projects at the same time
- Exceptional organizational skills and time management to prioritize activities and allocate resources effectively
- Creative thinking to bring innovative ideas and approaches to program design
- Shift work required including evenings and weekends
- Frequent exposure to environmental conditions (rain, snow, heat and cold)
- Most work takes place outside
- Moderate travel required
- PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
- Physical Demands such as moderate lifting, pushing and pulling
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted. For more information about the Greater Toronto Council please see our website; greatertoronto.scouts.ca.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at email@example.com or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.