Scouts Canada has an exciting full time, permanent opportunity for an Camp Ranger to join the Greater Toronto Council at Camp Woodland Trails. Reporting to the Operations Manager. Property Accreditation, you will be part of a team which supports Scouting programs and you will coordinate the maintenance, administration and promotion of Camp Woodland Trails to ensure the highest degree of safety and enjoyment by all facility users. This position requires that you live on site (accommodations provided), please note that our camps are pet and smoke free.
Scouts Canada promises youth, parents and the community at large that “It Starts with Scouts”. Scouts aims to provide youth with opportunities to experience new things and develop into capable and well-rounded individuals.
Your to-do list with change daily, but your main responsibilities are:
- Maintain Standards by Ensuring facilities meet Scouts Canada and legislated standards
- Responsible for the upkeep of the camp ground and report any risk/safety issues to the appropriate individual
- Monitor on site activities to ensure that safety standards are applied by users
- Work cooperatively with local Police, Health, Fire, Environmental and Safety officials. Ensure any tests for any of these agencies are completed and ensure all inspections are handled and forwarded to Operations Manager.
- Maintain camp property and fixtures; camp vehicles and watercrafts; tools and equipment
- Provide camp security 24 hours
- Ensure that all program material is safe and functions properly
- Perform repairs and maintenance to all buildings and property
- Handle all visits by maintenance contractors
- Help oversee any re-development of camp
- Supervise arrival and departure of camping groups
- Maintain financial, camp usage, inventories and other records
- Support positive relationships with facility neighbours and local community
- Provide reservation and booking service for potential camp users.
- Connect with the Council Service Centre to maintain an up to date schedule of facility bookings
- Within scope of responsibilities, ensure positive experience by campers
- Provide facility tours to interested parties for future bookings
- Assist with the marketing of the facility as directed
Education, Experience & Skills
- High School Diploma
- Minimum 2 years of related experience
- Broad general knowledge of building and equipment maintenance and repair, and light construction
- Current knowledge of processes to provide janitorial and custodian service
- General working knowledge of administrative procedures
- Understanding of applicable fire safety, environmental, health and safety code
- Proficient in MS Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Solid, demonstrated relationship building skills, a friendly manner and the ability to deal with all levels of staff, volunteers and external visitors
- Reliable, punctual and dependable with a proven ability to work independently as well as to perform effectively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid project management skills and ability to coordinate, plan and schedule multiple projects at the same time
- Exceptional organizational skills and time management to prioritize activities and allocate resources effectively
- Shift work required including evenings and weekends
- Frequent exposure to environmental conditions (rain, snow, heat and cold)
- Regular exposure to hazardous materials
- Some activities conducted in relative isolation
- PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
- Physical Demands such as medium/heavy lifting, climbing ladders, pushing, pulling and operating various machinery/tools.
We’ve got you covered
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Please submit your application to email@example.com.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted. For more information about the Greater Toronto Council please see our website at greatertoronto.scouts.ca.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.