Are you a recent graduate looking to begin a challenging career in the non-profit sector? Scouts Canada is seeking a candidate to join our team in Ottawa for our Area Support Manager in Training program!
Scouts Canada promises youth, parents and the community at large that “It Starts with Scouts”. Scouts aims to provide youth with opportunities to experience new things and develop into capable and well-rounded individuals. You will join an energetic and fun team that is committed to growing Scouting and making a difference in the lives of youth!
Our Area Support Managers work in the field directly with our volunteers, ensuring resources and support are available as well as work to achieve membership growth and retention. While in Training, the first year will be spent in development, honing your skills through actual support activities, learning about the organization and how you are best able to support our volunteers to execute our 5 priorities – to grow membership, recruit and train volunteers, deliver and measure great youth programming and ensure safety is a priority in everything that we do.
You will be assigned a small number of local groups and will collaborate with Area Leadership teams on strategies and tactics to drive membership growth and retention. Additionally, your development will include rotations through the National Service Centre departments such as marketing, operations, volunteer services, program development, and safety in order to develop your understanding of how it all fits together and the resources available for you to be successful.
You will become confident at managing current Scouting Groups and providing support to the volunteers. Establishing strong work relationships and effective planning and time management are key to your success.
- The trainee will learn to work in conjunction with key volunteers to develop growth plans and provide hands-on support in the execution of a Group’s growth plan;
- Learn to manage sales cycle from prospecting to closing;
- Will learn how to ensure each section is delivering quality programs to meet and exceed youth and parent’s expectations;
- Support volunteer recruitment, orientation, training, and performance management to ensure we have the right people in the right roles;
- Build and strengthen relationships with volunteers through regular support, communication and training.
- Learn how to facilitate compliance with organizational policies pertaining to member registration, volunteer screening and program safety.
What you bring to the table:
- Diploma or Degree in a related field.
- Some background or experience in customer service, sales, account management or fundraising is an asset, however relationship building skills, drive, and ambition are essential.
- You are a self-starter who has the ability to prioritize and manage your time effectively to achieve targets.
- Strong people and relationships building skills with the ability to adapt your approach depending on the audience.
- You understand and are able to have a shared leadership approach and ability to lead, coach and motivate a team to achieve goals.
- Strong customer focus
- You are looking for somewhere where you will be able to thrive in a busy and challenging environment where every day is something different.
- Bilingual (English/French) is an asset.
- Any experience working with volunteers or volunteer management approaches is an asset.
- Work hours will include some evening and weekend responsibilities.
- Some travel is required, and a mileage allowance will be provided.
- Access to your own vehicle, a valid G Driver’s License and clear drivers abstract.
- Willingness to relocate within Canada after the one-year training program is complete.
- After the one-year training program you will be assigned an area within one of our councils across Canada and become an Area Support Manager.
We’ve got you covered
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.