National Volunteer Service Team – Commissioner’s Development Team lead
The Commissioner Development Card Writing Team will be active during the pilot phase of the Commissioner Development Program. Approximately 3 years.
16 to 20 hours per month during the first couple of months. Anticipate 3 to 12 hours per month thereafter depending on the phase of the pilot.
Scope of Position:
Group, Area and Council Commissioners fill key management roles within Scouts Canada. These Volunteers will often determine the overall success of a Council based upon their engagement and alignment with Scouts Canada’s strategic direction. Currently, few Rover Scouts come forward to fill these roles, often lacking the confidence and/or the fundamental leadership and management skills.
As a member of the Writing Team you will be assisting to create the Commissioner Development Program that is designed to create a database of youth that are role ready to successfully become Commissioners (CC, AC and GC) within Scouts Canada. You will also be working closely with other NVST members who are developing related programs (e.g. On-Boarding).
With a team of 2 to 5 volunteers create and update (based on varied feedback) Commissioner Development Cards (Trail Cards) geared to Venturers and Rovers on the following topics:
- Team building
- Effective communication
- Use of social media
- Presentation skills
- Decision making
- Political and cultural awareness
- Trust building
- Conflict management
- Bridging the generation gap
- Managing meetings
- Time management
- Background in fundamental management and leadership skills either professionally or through education an asset.
- Ability to write clearly.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word.
- Enjoy communicating your understanding to others.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Capable of working independently and in a group setting.
- Comfortable with constructive criticism as a means to a better end product.
- Completion of the Canadian Path and Group Commissioner Wood Badge 1 course is required
- Presently a member in good standing or willing to become a registered member of Scouts Canada.
To Apply For This Position:
Please email a resume and cover letter to Andrea Cook email@example.com. by October 22, 2017.