Appointed annually by the National Commissioner for a maximum of three years
16-20 hours monthly
Accountable for all aspects of defining and strengthening internal and external communications, market positioning, publicity, and public awareness. Serve as a key contributor to developing and executing strategies to support Scouts Canada’s reputation and drive increased support for membership in Scouting in Canada.
Working closely with the National Key Three, the Executive Director Marketing & Communications and other members of the National Leadership Team:
- Develop strategies that sustain Scouts Canada’s brand positioning (who are we, what do we do and how do we do it) to members, prospective members and their families to strengthen positioning of Scouts Canada’s relevance to today’s youth and adults
- Support growth strategies by building and sustaining demand for Scouting among Canadian youth and parents
- Ensure the development, approval and execution of viable and vibrant internal and external communications strategies
- Raise brand awareness with sponsors, partners and the national community at large
- Raise brand awareness within the organization’s target membership markets.
- Identify and break down barriers in reaching out to broader segments of Canadian society
- Develop and direct strategies in the use of emerging communications and social media technologies to strengthen internal and external communications.
- Provide leadership in the style and content of the web presences resulting from these strategies
- Identify, propose and provide active sponsorship for projects in area of responsibility
- Participate actively as a member of the National Leadership Team including travelling to and attending periodic meetings up to four (4) times per year.
- Provide a leadership in the development of communications strategies for ongoing Scouts Canada projects
- Provide a volunteer perspective as part of the review team of communications generated by the MarCom team
- Work closely with MarCom staff in providing direction and support of Council level communications staff and volunteers
- Provide communications content and participate as a member of the editorial board on Scouts Canada communications such as Annual Reports, Marketing Collateral materials, electronic communications, Scouting Life and Scout Scene
- In partnership with the Executive Director Marketing and Communications, work with Councils and DCC’s of Communications to increase communications planning, capacity and consistency at the Council level.
- Support the development of a long-term volunteer recruitment strategy that continues to build diversity and capacity within the volunteer ranks.
- Support the development of internal communications strategies that achieve change-management goals.
- Demonstrated leadership, management, problem solving and decision making skills
- Extensive marketing and communications skills and experience
- Proven ability to inspire confidence, team effort and leadership in others
- Strong communication skills: ability to communicate clearly and professionally both verbally and in writing
- Expertise/experience in supporting change management strategies through strategic communications
- Demonstrated commitment to Scouting Mission, Principles and Practices through personal development and sound management practices
- Proven track record in developing comprehensive strategic marketing and communications, media relations, and marketing programs
- Experience with managing the creative design function
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with social media platforms and communications technologies
- Good familiarity with the Canadian Path
Key Core Competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Demonstrates high integrity and commitment to quality
- Excellent judgement and creative problem solving skills
- Results oriented with a bias for action
- Can effectively manage multiple projects and tight deadlines
- Excellent planning and organizational skills
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical as well as strategic thinker
- Strong attention to detail
- Builds partnerships and stakeholder loyalty
- Proven leadership skills
Applications for this exciting role will be accepted until October 20, 2017.
Please send your Scouting resume and background as to why you would be the best candidate to: email@example.com.