The Nominating Committee of the Board of Directors of the Fondation Scouts Canada Foundation (the “Foundation”) is currently seeking applications from individuals who are interested in joining the Foundation’s Board of Directors.
The Foundation was established in 2000, for the purposes of receiving, managing, and investing charitable donations and to provide grants and otherwise advance funds for the benefit of Scouting initiatives in Canada. Since its inception, the Foundation has grown its assets under management through sound and prudent investment strategies, while at the same time providing over $2.5 million in funding to Scouts Canada at the national, district and local council levels.
The Board is currently looking to fill two (2) Directors-at-Large positions. Individuals interested in serving on the Foundation Board are asked to send their expression of interest to Mr. James A. S. Legh, Chair of the Foundation’s Nomination Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications to be received is 9:00 PM EST on Wednesday, February 28, 2018. In addition to their expression of interest, applicants should also include the following:
- A copy of their resume outlining their background including education, work experience, and volunteer activities. Applicants should clearly outline their experience in investment management, will & estate planning, finance, and foundation management.
- Their background in scouting – current and past if any, including their current status with Scouts Canada.
- Any perceived conflicts of interest related to personal or business affiliations with existing Foundation Board members, Members of the Scouts Canada Board of Governors, the Scouts Canada management team or Beutel Goodman, the current Foundation fund managers.
- Address and contact information.
Additional Information on the Foundation Board
- The Foundation Board meets a minimum of four times per year. Most meetings are via conference call. In person meetings are typically held in Toronto or Ottawa. The Foundation will reimburse Board members for appropriate expenses incurred as approved in advance by the Chair and Treasurer of the Board.
- The Board acts in a governance capacity providing oversight and guidance to the management of the funds through the appointment of professional fund managers. The funds are currently managed by Beutel Goodman.
- The Foundation Board’s Officers include the Chair, Secretary and Treasurer.
Relationship with Scouts Canada
While the Foundation is a separate corporation with its own Bylaws, Letters Patent and Board of Directors, the sole purpose of the Foundation is to fund Scouting in Canada. As such the relationship between the Foundation, Scouts Canada and the Scouts Canada Board of Governors is strong. Annually, the Foundation receives and fulfills grant requests from Scouts Canada with a primary focus on funding major initiatives like the Canadian Path and the Scouts Canada Scholarship program.