For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canada youth. Scouts Canada promises youth, parents and the community at large that “It Starts with Scouts”. Scouts aims to provide youth with opportunities to experience new things and develop into capable and well-rounded individuals. Are you aligned with our mission to help develop well rounded youth, better prepared for General Accountant in our National Office in Ottawa? If you answered yes, we want to hear from you!
Reporting to the Controller, and as a member of the Finance Team, you will be responsible for all accounting requirements including preparation of financial statements for Scouts Canada Foundation. You will manage the administration, reporting and remittance requirements for all taxes for the organization across Canada. The General accountant will handle all bank related transactions and complete bank reconciliations for the National operation, and manage the operational and accounting requirements for membership revenues and receivables.
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Management of transaction activity in all National operations bank accounts on a weekly basis, reviewing pre-authorized payments and returned items and forwarding any required items for immediate action to necessary parties
- Completion of all bank reconciliations for the National operation and preparation of integration entries for all bank accounts within 5 days of month end
- Manage monthly processing and recording requirements for wire transfers and online payments as necessary
- Provision of accounting processes and requirements for membership revenues and refunds
- Account Reconciliations
- Management of financial operational requirements for the Scouts Canada Foundation and preparation of monthly and annual financial statements
- Reconciliation of Foundation investments, donations & tax receipts
- Management of accounting requirements for capital assets including the maintenance of current fixed asset schedules for additions and disposals and preparation of monthly amortization journal entries
- Overseeing the accurate recording of Retail accounting functions
- Provide leadership to the organization as Tax Coordinator, maintaining up to date knowledge on tax regulations, monitoring tax rate changes and communicating requirements and providing any necessary guidance on tax matters to necessary parties
- Management of the administration, remittance, and reporting requirements for all provincial sales tax, and federal GST for the organization on timely basis
- Provide guidance and support on the legislative requirements surrounding the issuance of charitable receipts for gifts in kind
- Work closely with external auditors during annual audit for Scouts Canada Foundation as well as the National office
- Serve as backup for other accounting department tasks
- Perform other assigned duties as required
Education, Experience & Skills
- Formal accounting training, preferably at the college level or equivalent experience
- Designation or working towards designation
- Five years of experience working at senior level in accounting environment
- Experience and up to date knowledge of all retail and employment tax matters
- Demonstrated fluency with major accounting software; experience with Great Plains an asset
- Strong analytical skills
- Advanced excel skills
Organizational Core Competencies
- Member Focus – Demonstrates commitment to increasing member satisfaction, assumes responsibility for solving problems, ensures commitments to members are met, solicits organizational and personal performance feedback from members.
- Integrity/Ethics – Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, maintains confidentiality and supports company values
- Dependability – Meets commitments, accepts accountability, stays focused under pressure and meets attendance/punctuality requirements
- Teamwork – Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere
- Job knowledge – Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge and technical skills, understands Scouts Canada’s mission/vision and keeps job knowledge current
Job Specific Competencies:
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of NPO accounting and reporting issues
- Strong interpersonal skills including demonstrated flexible approach
- Ability to work to deadlines while managing multiple activities
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
We’ve got you covered:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at email@example.com or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.