Do you love the outdoors? Are you passionate about youth development? Are you aligned with our mission to help develop well-rounded youth, better prepared for success in the world? Are you an avid outdoor enthusiast with a broad knowledge of camping equipment and outdoor gear with retail management experience? Do you think you have what it takes to become our next Ottawa Retail Store Manager?
If you answered yes, we want to hear from you!
For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canada youth. Scouts Shops across the country provide a one-stop-shop for thousands of exciting products designed to help people make the most of their outdoor experiences. We sell everything from name brand camping equipment, to awesome outdoor gear.
Reporting directly to the Retail Operations Manager and in support of the existing Scouting program and the Principals and Practices of Scouting, you will lead a team of retail staff to achieve customer service and sales goals. You and your team will help customers make informed decisions about everything they need in order to enjoy their outdoor experiences! Customer service is a priority and you will encourage your team to look for ways to enhance the shopping experience for customers.
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Collaboratively developing and implementing business plans to achieve sales targets and outstanding customer service, as well as maintaining all store standards
- Establishing and maintaining profit/loss targets as per business plan
- Promoting and monitoring the quality of customer service provided by staff by consistent coaching, activing as a positive role model and quickly resolving client concerns
- Building and maintaining a team of Retail Sales Associates through effective hiring, orientation, coaching and performance management
- Maximizing sales through store layout/design, inventory mix, pricing and merchandising
- Managing inventory including audit of store inventory and maintaining adequate stock levels
- Implementing plans to minimize loss prevention
- Returning defective merchandise, guarantee sale items, miss-filled orders
- Look for ways to increase awareness of the Scout Shop (in stores and online) including participating in council events, camp shows and other promotional opportunities
- Ensuring balancing of cash register totals and banking transactions
Who you are:
- Dynamic leader who is motivated by clearly and consistently setting expectations
- A friendly outgoing person who can strike up a conversation and make people smile
- Sales driven and ability to drive sales through outstanding customer service
- An outdoor and active lifestyle enthusiast with a broad knowledge of camping and outdoor gear
- Strong communicator – you listen first and then share your excellent knowledge
Education, Experience & Skills:
- 3 – 5 years of retail management experience in outdoor gear/sporting goods industry
- Inventory management experience
- Experience in financial management including tracking budgets
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multi-task and be self-motivated
- Solid problem solving skills
- Scouting experience is an asset
- Bilingualism (French) is an asset
- Flexibility to work a variety of shifts from Monday to Sunday as well as holidays
We’ve got you covered …
We offer a comprehensive benefits package for full time employees that includes a fabulous merchandise discount, an extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage plan and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted. For more information about our Scout Shops visit scoutshop.ca.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at email@example.com or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.