Use the force on some of your upcoming Scouting activities with these creative ideas. Travel to a galaxy far, far away with these fun, Star Wars inspired games. May the fourth be with you!
Scout Song, “Boom Chicka Boom”, meets Star Wars
To the tune of the Imperial March
Boom boom boom chicka boom chicka boom
Boom boom boom chicka boom chicka boom
I said “No Luke, I am your father.”
One more time!
Try playing a game of ‘broken telephone’ by having the Padawans—er, Scouts—transmit whispers of famous Jedi slogans and mottos.
- “A lesson learned is a lesson earned.”
- “The first step to correcting a mistake is patience.”
- “Believe in yourself or no one else will.”
- “No gift is more precious than trust.”
- “Sometimes accepting help is harder than offering it.”
- “Do or do not, there is no try.”
- “It is the quest for honour that makes one honourable.”
- “A wise leader knows when to follow.”
- “Courage makes heroes, but trust builds friendship.”
While these mantras are fun and in the spirit of Star Wars, they are also great for discussing with your Section, as Scouting youth can apply these principles to everyday life.
Camping with Wookies – aka, Bring Your Teddy to Camp
Wookies are faithful furry friends, but never cross them in a game—play it safe and let them win! Wookies can come in various shapes and sizes. Bring your favourite Wookie to camp and it will guard your sleeping bag while you are gone for the day, and defend you at night from snoring Nerf herders.
This is also a fun way for Scouting youth to exchange memories about their chosen Wookie and get to know each other further.
STEM + Star Wars
“Your focus determines your reality.” -Qui-Gon Jinn
While Star Wars may take place in a galaxy far, far away, bringing the magic of science, technology, engineering and mathematics to your next Scouting activity is easier than you think!
- Beaver Scouts
- Use the Force:
Using the Magnets Attract Trail Card, Beavers learn how compasses work and even build their own!
- Space Ship Builders:
With the Reaction Rockets Trail Card, Beavers can design and launch their very own rockets into space.
- Cubs Scouts
- Learn to control your ‘Droid’ with this STEM Robotics Kit.
- Design your own Space Station.
- Make your Wampa live with this stop animation Trail Card.
- Patrol Challenge: Rogue One
- This fun game, created by the 23rd Nepean Group (GeoHunters) for Cubs and Scouts, is a great way to get Scouting youth outside, active and having fun. Experience the Rogue One Challenge.
Lightsaber Safety Tip
This is a fun, innovative way to speak to Beavers and Cubs about the importance having a flashlight with extra batteries packed for every adventure.
- A lightsaber is not a toy.
- Keep your lightsaber pointed away from yourself or others when activating the ‘blade’.
- Keep out of reach of rebellious Scouts.
- Always handle from the handle.
- Be mindful while swinging your lightsaber—it may fly out of your hands and hurt someone!
Canadian Path – The Scout Awakens
The four elements of the Canadian Path lend themselves greatly to becoming a wise Jedi.
“Truly wonderful the mind of a child is.” – Yoda
With their friends and Scouting peers at their side, Scouting youth can dream up amazing adventures. Youth-Led is a key component to Scouting. Using their voice to help inspire greatness in everyone and using their abilities to pass on wisdom to others, Scouting youth never shy away from facing a new challenge.
“Do or do not, there is no try…” in Plan-Do-Review
When brainstorming your next adventure, ask Scouting youth to share stories about what the mission will look like, give it a name, and work backwards to determine what skills each participating youth will require to be successful on this adventure. Once the excursion is complete, review and celebrate!
Obi-Wan Kenobi wasn’t far from the truth when he famously said, “In my experience there is no such thing as luck.” Planning is like finding the right trash compactor—think Star Wars Episode IV, A New Hope. Before you leap into a trash compactor, you should always remember these safety tips and apply them to your Scouting adventures:
- Wear appropriate clothing, things may get messy down there.
- Be mindful of your surroundings—this means being open to safely exploring unexpected opportunities that may arise, while also staying aware of potential traps.
- Always check for odd smells, which could be an indication of some galactic critter living nearby.
- Always have a droid on stand-by to help you out of a jam, or a compass to lend a hand if your smart phone conks out.
“Greatness comes from within…”
Scouting adventures help youth grow through new experiences, expanding their SPICES—Social, Physical, Intellectual, Character, Emotional, and Spiritual qualities.
Great Scouters Are Never Without Options Or Resources
Rey asked Leia, “How do we rebuild the rebel force from this?”
To which she replied, “We have everything we need.”
Explore everything about the Canadian Path on Scouts.ca