1st Richmond QC – Scout Balls
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a cast iron skillet over hot coals
- Add 3/4 cup of sugar and stir until homogenous
- Add 1 1/2 cup of chopped, pitted dates (that you prepared waaaayyyy before camp because by campfire time you are too hiked/paddled/climbed out for this meticulous task!) and keep stirring over the coals until the dates break down and you have a loose paste.
- Remove pan from fire and add one beaten egg (have the scouts play “hot potato” with a ziploc bag and the raw egg while you are stirring the mix for an extra frothy egg… have an extra on stand-by in case the initial bag breaks!) Stir in quickly so you don’t make a date omelet.
- Add 3 cups of Rice Krispies and a teaspoon of vanilla (you can also add the vanilla to the egg bag previously mentionned and kill 2 birds with one hot potato).
- Stir and let cool until toucheable OR pre-plan Burn Treatment First Aid as an activity.
- Form into balls and roll (or shake around in another bag) in icing sugar, coconut or nuts.
BE PREPARED for them to be a hit! PROMISE to make them again!