Accounting Clerk – BCY Service Centre
Want to change the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canadian youth and we need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
Scouts Canada is seeking an Accounting Clerk to join our BCY Service team in Vancouver. Reporting to the Financial Analyst and as a key member of the Prairie Service Centre, you will be responsible for the day to day accounting requirements for four councils. Please note this is a 6-month term contract.
Your to-do list with change daily, but your main responsibilities are:
- Work with the Prairie Operations Manager and Prairie operations team to improve business processes (with a focus on accounts receivable, accounts payable, and charitable receipting processes) to ensure that they are consistent, member-friendly, and cost-effective for Scouts Canada.
- Timely and accurate processing of accounts payable including review to ensure accurate allocation; review to ensure consistency with budgets, preparation of cheques for payment
- Regularly review outstanding accounts receivable and take steps to ensure members and third-party customers pay their bills on time.
- Receive and review donations to customer councils and their related bodies and issue charitable receipts for eligible donations.
- Ensure that cash is handled and safeguarded appropriately, make bank deposits, and record transactions in a timely and accurate manner.
- Analyze and reconcile accounts, complete bank reconciliations and prepare statutory filings in a timely and accurate manner.
- Support the Financial Analyst as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Some post-secondary education in accounting, bookkeeping, or business administration.
- 3 + years in bookkeeping or accounting role; experience in a not-for-profit environment and accounts receivable/accounts payable an asset
- Demonstrated fluency with major accounting software; experience with Great Plains an asset
- Basic knowledge of Canadian charitable accounting standards and CRA guidelines for registered charities.
- Intermediate skills with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and Outlook.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving abilities
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Internal and external customer service focused
- Enthusiastic, self-starter with ability to take initiative to bring forth recommendations for enhancements and be adaptable to change
Working Conditions & Physical Demands
- Works in an office environment.
- Occasionally required to respond to upset or dissatisfied members.
- Maintains regular office hours with some flexibility during peak demand periods
- Majority of time spent sitting and using office equipment and computers.
- Frequently required to shift attention between tasks quickly while maintaining accuracy.
- Frequent need to read and manipulate text on computer screens.
- Frequent need to read handwritten forms and notes.
- Occasional need to lift and move boxes of files
We’ve got you covered:
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Lisa Donnelly in Human Resources at email@example.com or 613-224-5131 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.
Ready to apply? Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations.
SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION