Accounting Manager (Senior Financial Analyst) — Ottawa, ON
Do you want to be a part of the change you want to see in the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship, and fun to 17 million Canadian youth and we need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
Scouts Canada is seeking an Accounting Manager (Senior Financial Analyst) to join our Finance Department in Ottawa, ON.
Reporting to the Controller, this business-minded Senior Financial Analyst is integral to the financial management and operations for Scouts Canada. You will develop and provide effective financial analysis and recommendations guiding the organization’s efforts towards financial stability and revenue growth. You will champion compliance with accounting regulations, while simultaneously supporting risk-assessment. The preparation of monthly financial statements, forecasts, and variances for the leadership team, as well as providing proactive insights and analysis on key metrics and results will be part of the mandate of this new role.
Do you think you have what it takes to become our next team member? If you answered yes - we want to hear from you!
Specifically, you will be responsible for the following:
Reporting and Analysis:
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial report package for Senior Management, ensuring accuracy and completeness
- Provide proactive insights and analysis on key metrics; analyze trends, gather and maintain information for Senior Management with recommendations
- Contribute to the development of the annual budget, short-term and long-term forecasts
- Support cross-functional teams on the forecast and annual budgeting processes
- Provide analytical support to managers, employees and volunteers and other related parties; contribute to KPIs as required
- Ensure compliance with accounting regulations
Month-end Accounting Cycle:
- Lead the month-end closing process, including review and validate of various month-end journal entries.
- Prepare and distribute monthly financial report package in accordance with deadlines, ensuring accuracy and completeness
- Manage restricted funds including review of transactions, adherence to guidelines, investment accounting, transfers to the operating accounts and reporting requirements
- Coordinate annual audit including completion of all required schedules, managing auditor requests and verification of audited financial statements
- Coordinate with external auditors on testing during the interim and on-site audit.
- Coordinate on the audit committee meetings
- Provide guidance and direction to the Finance team on program and accounting matters as required
- Act as GP administrator and GP internal support
- Maintain chart of accounts and financial statement set up in accounting software
- Monitor internal control and recommend improvements to mitigate risk
- Regularly review financial operation processes to improve the efficiency.
- Fulfill the financial reporting requirements for Scouts Canada Foundation and World Scout Foundation.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Bachelor of Commerce or equivalent post-secondary education is required
- Achieved or working towards professional designation (CPA) or equivalent experience
- Minimum five years of experience working in senior finance role; experience in a not-for-profit environment an asset
- Demonstrated fluency with Great Plains accounting software
- Strong analytical skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Proactive insights and strong analytical skills with knowledge in business trends and results.
- Strong time management skills and able to meet strict deadlines on a regular basis and simultaneously handle multiple work priorities
- Strong interpersonal skills including demonstrated flexible approach
- Self-motivated and works reliably with minimal supervision
- Keen sense of urgency and the ability to prioritize problems, analyze and resolve issues
- Attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Superior writing, editing, and proof-reading skills, in addition to exceptional verbal communications skills
- Works in an office environment
- Currently working remotely from a home office environment due to COVID-19
- Regular office hours, some flexibility during peak demand period required
We’ve got you covered:
We offer a comprehensive benefits package; which includes an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision, dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you!
Please submit your application (Cover Letter and Resume) to email@example.com.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Human Resources at 613-224-5134 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.
Ready to Apply?
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you and your passions!
Please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org.