Business Analyst/IT Team Lead — National Office
Want to change the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” We need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canadian youth. We have reinvigorated our program to meet the changing demands of youth and are searching for an IT Guru to join our team!
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, Business Services as the IT Lead / Business Analyst (BA), you will be an integral part of our business services team, responsible for both the effective leadership of the IT team and the business partnering activities between the IT department and other functions: The BA will work closely with the Functional Teams and (as appropriate) Project Managers to define the expected BA deliverables and scope for assigned IT projects. The BA will work closely with “clients” and project stakeholders to recommend the best solution(s) to meet the client business needs. This position will also supervise the Computer Systems Administrator(s) and Systems Developer(s).
You must have a minimum of 5 years of Business Analysis experience in a membership environment, including complex and integrated business solutions with a strong understanding of requirements gathering, business process modelling, business process reengineering, business case development, relational databases, networks, security, interfacing as well as the current Business Analysis methodology. This must include a minimum 2 years project management experience involving the initiation, planning, analyzing, executing, monitoring, controlling and closing processes of projects, as well as communication, presentation, team building, contract negotiations, financial management and reporting, decision making and leadership experience in large and complex projects involving a number of stakeholders, resources and deliverables. Must be adept in shifting priorities; demonstrate proper conduct in adverse situations to facilitate the most appropriate solution and expediting resolution while taking into consideration mitigating strategies, risks and impact.
Specifically, you will be responsible for, but not limited to:
IT Team Leadership Requirements:
- Provide leadership and coaching to IT team members and project management of solutions and key projects.
- Coordinating IT projects including: upgrades, system updates, migrations and outages;
- Managing the procurement, distribution and use of technology licenses software and equipment
- Participating in the management of Vendor relationships to ensure the outlined goals and expected performance is reached
- Overseeing technology Quality Management (e.g. policy compliance, backup and disaster recovery protocols)
- Summarizing and sharing regular technology performance reports and providing insights that can lead to improvements
- Contributing to and reporting on the IT budget allocation
- Contributing to and promoting IT policies and best practices
- Coaching and influencing staff on how to extract the most value out of the existing IT Services
- Developing and providing orientation and on-going education to staff on IT topics, processes and procedures
- Identifying opportunities for staff training on IT systems; and
- Performing other tasks as assigned from time to time.
Business Partnering Requirements:
- Organize and facilitate requirements gathering sessions with project stakeholders, team members and end users. Prepare elicitation documents where required (e.g., survey questions, project charters);
- Proactively communicate with cross functional teams to ensure thorough understanding and explanations of issues and resolutions and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Liaise with multiple areas of the business in order to facilitate the development of the business requirements into solutions – to identify effective solutions based on data analysis and supporting the development, testing and implementation of the solution
- Gather and create business and end user requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, business analysis, task and workflow analysis.
- Determine feasibility of the business requirements and alignment to business needs;
- Troubleshoot and resolve problems by analysing and developing new approaches to existing practices;
- Provide input to the Project Manager to manage the project scope.
Document Requirement Deliverables:
- Produce User Stories and Use Cases
- Prepare a User Acceptance Test Plan and User Acceptance Test Cases where required; and
- Prepare the Business Requirements Document inclusive of requirements scope, project objectives, business problems and/or opportunities, solution context, functional, non-functional and data requirements, including, as appropriate, review, development and application of business process models such use cases, process maps, workflow diagrams
Communicate, Verify and Validate Requirements:
- Conduct requirements review walkthrough sessions with user experience/design, technology and end users;
- Review applicable technology prototypes.
Education, Experience & Skills
- Minimum of 5 years IT experience, preferably with application, desktop operating systems and end-user support
- Two (2) years of significant experience working on projects in an IM/IT environment with technical and non-technical stakeholders in which you were analysing requirements, liaising with business and technical stakeholders, leading requirement elicitation working sessions, developing and presenting recommendations/solutions to business partners and senior management.
- At least 1 year experience in a team lead role where you have had direct responsibility for project deliverables and timelines
- Experience in the review, development and application of business process models such use cases, process maps, workflow diagrams.
- Completion of an education program in Information Technology from a university or college
- Demonstrated Microsoft knowledge and experience (certification is an asset)
- Strong knowledge of Office 365
- Demonstrated progressive work experience in the information technology field
- Past experience successfully working with employees at all levels of an organization
- Excellent overall communication, persuasion, presentation, and consensus building skills
- Excellent written communication skills with a critical eye to accuracy
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team; highly motivated self-starter; detail-oriented with an ability to think through problems creatively
- Network experience is an asset (WAN and LAN connectivity, routers, firewalls and security)
- Works in office environment
- Some work is extremely deadline driven
- Must remain discrete and maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Must role model values of Scouts Canada including the Child and Youth Safety program.
- PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
- Mandatory training requirement
We’ve got you covered:
(For permanent positions only) We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you!
Please submit your application(Cover Letter and Resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Human Resources at 613-224-5134 ex 252 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.