Camp Ranger — Camp Woods, Chinook Council
At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” We need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world. Are you a reliable and flexible team player? Do you pride yourself on your resourcefulness and ability to think on your feet? Do you have broad knowledge of building and equipment maintenance and repair and are ready to apply your experience in providing janitorial and custodian services at one of our campsites?
If you answered yes and think you have what it takes to become our next Camp Ranger, we want to hear from you!
Scouts Canada has an opportunity for a Camp Ranger to join the Chinook Council at Northern Lights Council-Camp Woods. This is a full time opportunity commencing on November 1st, 2019. Reporting to the Operations Manager and Regional Director, you will be part of a team which supports Scouting programs and you will coordinate the maintenance, administration and promotion of Camp Woods to ensure the highest degree of safety and enjoyment by all facility users. This position requires that you live near-by (within 15km), please note that our camps are pet and smoke free.
Scouts Canada promises youth, parents and the community at large that “It Starts with Scouts”. Scouts aims to provide youth with opportunities to experience new things and develop into capable and well-rounded individuals.
Your to-do list with change daily, but your main responsibilities are:
- Care and maintenance of the camp, bookings, day to day operations of the camp
- Ensure user groups have access to the camp
- Maintain standards by ensuring facilities meet Scouts Canada and legislated standards
- Responsible for the upkeep of the camp ground and report any risk/safety issues to the appropriate individual
- Monitor on site activities to ensure that safety standards are applied by users
- Work cooperatively with local Police, Health, Fire, Environmental and Safety officials, land managers, landlords and Provincial Camping Associations. Ensure any tests for any of these agencies are completed and ensure all inspections are handled and forwarded to Outdoor Program Manager
- Maintain camp property and fixtures; camp vehicles and watercrafts; tools and equipment
- Provide Camp Security as required
- Be on-call for after hours’ security and/or safety issues Ensure that all program material is safe and functions properly
- Perform repairs and maintenance to all buildings and property
- Handle all visits by maintenance contractors
- Maintain financial, camp usage, inventories and other records
- Support positive relationships with facility neighbors and local community
- Maintain the maintenance system to ensure that any repairs or issues are schedule, resolved and tracked accordingly.
- Within scope of responsibilities, ensure positive experience by campers
- Provide facility tours to interested parties for future bookings
- Assist with the marketing of the facility as directed
Education, Experience & Skills
- High School Diploma
- Minimum 2 years of related experience
- Broad general knowledge of building and equipment maintenance and repair, and light construction
- Current knowledge of processes to provide janitorial and custodian service
- General working knowledge of administrative procedures
- Understanding of applicable fire safety, environmental, health and safety code
- Proficient in MS Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook.
- Chainsaw certification would be an asset
- Skid Steer Training would be an asset
- Pool Operator Certification would be an asset
- Solid, demonstrated relationship building skills, a friendly manner and the ability to deal with all levels of staff, volunteers and external visitors
- Reliable, punctual and dependable with a proven ability to work independently as well as to perform effectively in a team environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Solid project management skills and ability to coordinate, plan and schedule multiple projects at the same time
- Exceptional organizational skills and time management to prioritize activities and allocate resources effectively
- Non-traditional work hours required including evenings and weekends
- Exposure to loud noises
- Frequent exposure to environmental conditions (rain, snow, heat and cold)
- Regular exposure to hazardous materials
- Some activities conducted in relative isolation
- PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
- Physical Demands such as medium/heavy lifting, climbing ladders, pushing, pulling and operating various machinery/tools
We’ve got you covered:
(For permanent positions only) We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
Please submit your application (Cover Letter and Resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Human Resources at 613-224-5134 ex 252 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.