Instructional Design & eLearning Specialist
Do you want to be a part of the change you want to see in the world? At Scouts Canada our Vision is “Canadian youth making a meaningful contribution to creating a better world.” For more than 100 years, Scouts Canada has brought a world of adventure, outdoor experience, friendship and fun to 17 million Canadian youth and we need passionate people who share our Mission to develop well-rounded youth better prepared for success in the world.
Scouts Canada is seeking an Instructional Design & eLearning Specialist to join our Scouting Experience team in the National Head Office (Ottawa). Reporting to the Associate Director, Program Support and as a key member of the Scouting Experience, you will work closely with the Scouting Experience – Program & Volunteer Services department, volunteers, and other subject matter experts to design, develop, implement and evaluate online learning. The Instructional Design & eLearning Specialist will provide support for the enhancement of learning and the staff/volunteer experience through the facilitation of innovation, creativity and knowledge transfer with regard to learning.
Do you think you have what it takes to become our next Instructional Design & eLearning Specialist? If you answered yes, we want to hear from you!
Specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Work in consultation with key staff and volunteers, subject matter experts and the Program Support Network to design and develop high quality, engaging and interactive eLearning, blended learning courses and in-person workshops
- Integrate Learning Experience Design (Scouter Development Model) by designing, structuring, and sequencing experiences into optimized learning paths using competency based learning
- Develop eLearning courses using Adobe Captivate and other Adobe Creative Suite tools, ensuring accessibility requirements are met based on WCAG 2.0 and AODA standards
- In collaboration with the rest of the Program & Volunteer Services team, complete an ongoing training needs analysis and create a training development plan focused on needs of staff and volunteers
- Recommend and implement improvements to existing online learning content and design to provide the best possible learner experience
- Engage SME’s to understand learning objectives as they apply to program development, learning measurement and evaluation
- Successfully utilize adult learning principles to engage participants and achieve a high transfer of knowledge
- Create training program schedules, develop communications and corresponding implementation plans
- Sourcing and editing of audio, video, graphic and supporting material assets
- Provide detailed instructional manuals and documents for training, educational or end user use
- Train and coach e-learning users and respond to any questions or issues
- Manage strong working relationships with other departments within Scouts Canada to effectively collaborate on initiatives
Education, Experience & Skills
- Post-secondary education in Adult Education, Instructional Design, eLearning Development, Communications, Organizational Behavior or equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in training or instructional design with a strong background in designing and developing online learning solutions
- Sound knowledge of adult learning principles, instructional design, learning experience design and methods of evaluation
- Knowledge and experience with eLearning development and SCORM related tools: Captivate, Articulate, and other Adobe programs
- Experience managing a Learning Management System (LMS): Scouts Canada has partnered with Desire2Learn (D2L) to implement a Brightspace LMS
- Basic knowledge of HTML
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and experience writing for various learner levels and formats
- A great design eye that pays close attention to layout and detail
- Highly motivated, strong work ethic and can work independently with minimal supervision
- Strong collaboration skills to collaborate with staff, volunteers, SME’s and external providers to achieve goals and objectives, working in a team environment.
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to balance conflicting priorities in order to achieve results.
- Works in office environment
- Occasional travel
- Must remain discrete and maintain high levels of confidentiality
- Long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers, which can cause muscle strain
- Must role model values of Scouts Canada including the Child and Youth Safety program.
- PRC (Police Record Check) and VSS (Vulnerable Sector Check) required
- Mandatory training requirement
We’ve got you covered:
(For permanent positions only) We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes a fabulous merchandise discount; an employer-matched retirement plan after one year; extended health, prescription, vision and dental coverage and more.
If this role excites you, we want to hear from you! Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter — we want to hear your story — your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit with your future career aspirations. We want to learn about you!
Please submit your application (Cover Letter and Resume) to email@example.com.
Scouts Canada thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Scouts Canada encourages applications from all qualified candidates and has a great record of accommodating persons with disabilities. Contact Human Resources at 613-224-5134 ex 252 if you need accommodation at any stage of the application process or want more information on our accommodation policies.