Day Camp Counsellor (Camp Samac)
REPORTS TO: Day Camp Coordinator
WORK TIME: Due to the ongoing impacts of COVID-19, our Properties Operations team is working to determine a reopening date for our 2022 summer program. This position is anticipated to begin on-site between July 4th – July 18th and will work full-time hours (35 hours per week), Monday – Friday, until September 2nd, 2022. Further information regarding mandatory training dates & the official start date will be confirmed in the onboarding process.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Day Camp Counsellors are responsible for the implementation of the Day Camp Program for campers, encouraging adventure, enjoyment and the development of new skills and interests. Day Camp Counsellors are responsible for developing weekly programs for, and the supervision of, participants aged 5-13 years. This position requires passion for working with youth and an interest in supporting the Senior Staff in incorporating more of the Canadian Path principles into the Summer Camp program.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plan, coordinate, and conduct program activities with their assigned camper group.
- Instruct participants in various outdoor skills as assigned (i.e., fire building, shelter building, orienteering, knot tying, archery).
- Cooperate with other staff and assist in the organization and supervision of camp activities and special events, such as Family Night campfires.
- Weekly submission of any supply request forms to the Day Camp Coordinator.
- Responsible for the safety and care of each camper assigned to their group at all times.
- Write up and follow up on all incident reports as required.
- Assist in regular caretaking duties to maintain cleanliness of camp facilities.
- Responsible for the general maintenance of camp equipment and supplies assigned to group.
- Other duties as required.
- Minimum 16 years of age.
- Capable of planning for children (aged 5-13 years) in a recreational setting.
- Familiarity with basic camping skills.
- Ability to work with a variety of workstyles among young adults.
- Background in Early Childhood Education, Concurrent/Consecutive Education, or Outdoor Education studies considered an asset.
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR (Level C) certificate.
- Embodies personal beliefs in keeping with the Mission, Principles & Practices of Scouts Canada.
- Demonstrated appropriate attitude, skills & knowledge for the position.
- Strong communication skills with an interest in developing personal leadership abilities.
- Values constructive feedback and opportunities for professional growth.
- Completes Scouts Canada screening process including a clear Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening.
- Willingness to complete all necessary training, including additional pre-camp training if deemed necessary.
- Willingness to work non-traditional hours.
For your safety & the safety of others, all Scouts Canada employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment (unless they have a valid exemption). Declaration of vaccination status will be requested upon hire in addition to a clean Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. Individuals requesting an exemption can do so by notifying the hiring manager.
If you think you will make a great addition to the team, please complete our Online Application by February 28, 2022: https://bit.ly/samacstaff2022.
Scouts Canada, thanks you for taking the time to consider this position. Please understand that only individuals chosen for an interview will be contacted.