- Where might you perform some trail maintenance?
- What skills and equipment do you need to do a good job?
- Will performing maintenance be part of a short or long hike, or will it be its own adventure?
- Survey the trail ahead of your work day, if possible. Consider what maintenance is required: litter pick-up, sign painting, bridge repair, clearing overgrowth, etc.
- Take part in a successful trail rehabilitation.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did your team get along?
- What problems did you encounter, and what did you do to solve these problems?
- What would you do differently next time?
- Can you adopt this trail on a long-term basis?
- Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Start local! Choose a hiking trail or walking path near your meeting place and arrange an evening to clean it up. Pick up garbage and clear any debris off of the trail. Your fellow hikers will be grateful!
Take it Further
- Arrange for your Group to adopt a local trail. Work with a local trail or conservation authority to find a trail in need of help! Find a way for all Sections to be involved, from garbage clean up to brush clearing to maintaining the integrity of the trail.