- When and where will you have this Adventure?
- What equipment (including tarps) do you need to bring?
- Has anyone slept out under a tarp before? What tips can he or she share?
- In a small team, practise setting up tarps for effective personal shelters, and camp out overnight without the aid of tents.
- Once you’ve mastered this skill, you will find that even when you plan to camp overnight you sometimes prefer this approach to carrying a tent. There are, after all, real benefits to packing light that should always be considered when planning any outing.
- After you build your shelters, you can even spend the night in them to test them out. Is your shelter comfortable enough to spend the night in?
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What difficulties did you encounter? How did you overcome them?
- How has this experience shaped how you view sleeping in a tent?
- What would you do differently next time?
- How can you build on this experience?
Keep it Simple
- You don’t have to sleep in your shelter if you’re not ready to! Make your shelters as a day activity.
Take it Further
- Create a camp where you sleep in shelters rather than in tents! What supplies will you need to bring to this camp that you wouldn’t normally need if you were sleeping in a tent?