- When and where will you share this adventure?
- What do you know about building quinzhees? How can you find out more?
- What equipment do you need for building your quinzhee? For sleeping in your quinzhee?
- How should you dress for this adventure?
- Build a snow mound. It should be about two metres tall, and three metres across.
- Sink some sticks in to the mound (about a half metre deep).
- Wait several hours for the snow to sinter.
- Hollow out the mound. Stop digging outward when you reach the sticks!
- Finish your quinzhee with a windbreak near the door, a vent and beds
- While spending time in a snow shelter can take some getting used to, a well-built quinzhee can be as comfortable as your summer tent.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did you feel before, during and after this adventure?
- How did your team get along?
- What would you do differently in the future?
Keep it Simple
- Practise sleeping in a temporary shelter in the spring or fall by building a tarp shelter! https://www.scouts.ca/activity-finder/personal-tarp-shelter.html
Take it Further
- Try building and sleeping in an igloo!