- What kinds of ads will you look at?
- What will you make an ad for?
- How will you make your ad?
- In small teams, look at some different ads aimed at people your age – they could be web ads, commercials or even printed ads.
- What kinds of things do these ads have in common? What are they doing to try to get you to buy their product?
- Think about the different ways these ads are trying to sell something and then use them yourself – create an ad for your Section, an upcoming camp or event, or even a made-up product.
- Use the different techniques that you saw while making your ad. How will your ad make people want to join your Section, attend your event or buy your product?
- Why does it matter how ads work? Why is it important to know how ads make us feel?
- How can ads be used in negative ways?
- What did you learn about how ads target youth?
- Now that you’ve seen examples, where do you see ads that you did not think of before?
Keep it Simple
- Sometimes ads will look different depending on if they are aimed at boys or girls – learn about what the media says and see if you can spot the difference in ads for boys and girls.
Take it Further
- Compare ads from different platforms – websites, TV, magazines, etc. aimed at your age group. What techniques are different? What techniques are the same? Then, compare these to ads aimed at younger people – how do the techniques change?