- What kinds of ads will you look at?
- What will you make an ad for?
- How will you make your ad?
- In small teams, look at some different ads aimed at people your age – they could be web ads, commercials or even printed ads.
- What kinds of things do these ads have in common? What are they doing to try to get you to buy their product?
- Think about the different ways these ads are trying to sell something and then use them yourself – create an ad for your Section, an upcoming camp or event, or even a made-up product.
- Use the different techniques that you saw while making your ad. How will your ad make people want to join your Section, attend your event or buy your product?
- Why does it matter how ads work? Why is it important to know how ads make us feel?
- How can ads be used in negative ways?
- What did you learn about how ads target youth?
- Now that you’ve seen examples, where do you see ads that you did not think of before?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Sometimes ads will look different depending on if they are aimed at boys or girls – learn about what the media says and see if you can spot the difference in ads for boys and girls.
Take it Further
- Compare ads from different platforms – websites, TV, magazines, etc. aimed at your age group. What techniques are different? What techniques are the same? Then, compare these to ads aimed at younger people – how do the techniques change?