- What are some of your favourite trail snacks? How can you put a fun new spin on one of them?
- When are you going hiking? When will your group prepare its snack?
- Where will you get your ingredients?
- What kind of outing are you going on? Are you snowshoeing? Hiking above the tree line? What kind of weather do you expect? How will this affect what you prepare?
- As a group, decide on what snacks you want to make.
- In small teams, prepare your snacks. Sweet, savoury, sour or spicy – why not all of them at once?
- Head out on a hike and bring your snacks!
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What was your favourite snack and why?
- How did the hike you planned affect what snack you made?
- What would you do differently next time?
- How can you build on this experience?
Keep it Simple
- Work as a team to brainstorm the snacks you want to make, as well as make your snacks.
- Start small by making a single snack for a short day hike.
Take it Further
- Plan a whole menu for a camp using these ideas. While you will need more than snacks for your camp, think about the skills you learned in this activity, like dehydrating, and try to apply them to your next camp!