- What supplies will you need for this adventure?
- Can everyone in your Section eat bacon? What are some alternatives you can use for people who cannot eat bacon?
- Are you going to cook your food in small teams or individually?
- What changes about the steps if you cook your food in teams vs individually?
- Use larger paper bags if you are cooking in small teams or smaller ones if you are cooking individually.
- Divide the ingredients – for each person you will need two slices of bacon and an egg. If you are cooking in teams, you’ll need a bag per team or a bag per person otherwise.
- Spray the inside of the bag with cooking spray, then cut the bacon in half and place it on the bottom of the bag.
- Crack the egg(s) on top of the bacon.
- Fold the top of the bag over to cook it.
- Then, either use a hook to attach the bag to a cooking tripod or attach it to a stick to cook over the fire.
- The bag will need to be held about 30cm over the fire until everything is cooked through (20-25 minutes).
- Open your bag and dig in. Be careful – it’s hot!
- What was the most challenging part of this activity?
- What did you learn during this adventure? Is there something you’d do differently next time?
- 2 strips of bacon
- 1 egg
Per small team or person:
- Brown paper bag (no plastic or other interior coating)
- Cooking spray
- Way to hold the bag over the fire (tripod, stick, etc.)
Keep it Simple
- Doing this in small teams and hanging the bags over the fire with a tripod may be easier – that way, you don’t need to worry about finding space for everyone around the fire or holding your arm out for 25 minutes!
Take it Further
- What other creative ways can you find to cook over a campfire? Try a new campfire cooking method that you’ve never tried before!