- Where will you complete the activity?
- What materials do you need for this activity?
- How will you reduce your food waste?
- Review the poster/data in the link and discuss the effects of food waste in the world.
- Think about the food that you have daily, and the waste that it produces.
- Pick a meal that you ate today and write down all the waste that was created while making it. Include compostable waste (banana peels, pepper seeds, etc.), recyclable waste (cardboard boxes, etc.) and non-recyclyable waste (granola bar wrapper, etc.).
- Create a list of ways that you can reduce your food waste and how food could be wasted less in the world.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did you and your friends get along on this Adventure?
- What would you change next time?
- What is it important to know about food waste?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Record the food waste that your family produces in one day and talk about it at your next meeting. Was there more waste or less waste than you expected? Could you have prevented any of the waste (e.g. not making too much food, eating produce before it goes bad, etc.)?
Take it Further
- Create your own DIY composter! This will reduce the waste that gets put into landfills. Compost reduces or prevents the release of methane during organic breakdown.