- Do you want to do this adventure indoors, outdoors or at camp?
- Where will you build your habitat and shelter?
- What do you need to consider when you are building your habitat? What will you need access to in your home?
- What materials will you use?
- How big will your shelter be?
- Design and build a habitat and shelter for your whole team!
- Use different materials like blankets, tarps, chairs and poles to build a sturdy structure that could keep you warm and dry.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How well does your shelter protect you from the elements? Will it keep you dry? Warm? Out of the wind?
- How strong is your shelter? How can you make sure it will hold up under strong winds or heavy rain and snow?
- What other animals could live in your habitat?
- How can you use what you learned at camp?
- If you built a model habitat and shelter, how could you scale it up to make it life-size?
- What did you like about this adventure? What did you not like? How would you do this adventure differently?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
- Cardboard boxes
- Tent poles
- Other materials to build your shelter and habitat
Keep it Simple
- Start small by building a mini habitat out of sticks, cloths and other small materials. What will your mini habitat look like? What supplies will you need to build it?
Take it Further
- Go on a habitat hike and learn about different animal habitats. How do different animals build their homes?