- What ingredients do you need for your potions?
- Is there any safety equipment required?
Colour Changing Potion
- 500ml Water
- 6g of Sodium Hydroxide
- 9g of Sucrose
- While stirring, add a little potassium permanganate in water
- The solution should go through a series of colour changes.
- Fill seven glasses with a small amount of red cabbage juice.
- Add a drop of vinegar or lemon juice to one cup- what colour does it change to?
- Do it again with Bicarbonate of Soda (Baking Soda), what colour does it change to now?
- Experiment with more drops, can you make a rainbow?
- While running warm water into a sink, add some dry ice.
- Add a squirt of dish detergent and some food colouring.
- Continue to run water- the dry ice should produce coloured bubbles that are filled with smoke that burst overflowing the sink.
- Make sure to run warm water until all the dry ice is dissolved or it can freeze the pipes
- What did you learn about the potions?
- What other experiments could you try?
- Disposable gloves
- Safety glasses
- Sodium Hydroxide
- Potassium Permanganate
- Red cabbage juice
- Lemon juice/ vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Dry Ice
- Oven mitts
- Dish Detergent
- Food Colouring