- What supplies will you need for this activity?
- How will you make sure that the sand stays in one area?
- Where will you get sand?
- Put your sand in a big bowl or other similar dish.
- Add the corn starch to the sand and mix them until they’re well combined.
- Mix together the dish soap and water in a separate container until fully mixed and a little bit bubbly.
- Add the water and dish soap to the cornstarch and sand mixture, mix until well combined.
- If the sand seems too dry, add water until it reaches a consistency you like!
- Play with your sand – use sand toys or your hands to mould it. What happens when you hold the sand?
- What was the moon sand like to play with?
- What ingredients turned your regular sand into moon sand?
- How is the moon sand different from regular sand?
Materials list is per pair or small group
- 6 cups of play sand (buying sand for this is recommended, sand from your local playground is likely too dirty).
- 1 ½ cups cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons dish soap
- ¾ cup of water
Keep it Simple
- Start with natural sand as you make sand sculptures!
Take it Further
- Find different methods of making moon sand or kinetic sand and try making a couple different recipes. What things are similar? Which are different?