- What materials will you need?
- What will your poster say?
- What will your poster show?
- What kind of animal would make a good Canadian mascot for your message (like Smokey Bear)?
- Where will you put up your poster?
- Create a poster to remind people to be careful with fire. You might include a character like Smokey Bear, an American mascot of fire prevention—he even has his own phrase: “Only you can prevent wildfires.” Share your poster someplace where people will see it, like at your local Scout camp!
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What was your favourite part of this adventure?
- What other posters can you imagine making?
- What poster that someone else made do you like most? Why?
- Why is it important to prevent wildfires?
- Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map to the Review section.
Keep it Simple
- Learn about Smokey Bear and how to stay safe when working with fire.
Take it Further
- Be proactive and teach the younger sections about why it is important to prevent wildfires. Put into place a checklist that goes to every camp that ensures that all measures have been taken to reduce the risk of wildfires happening.