- What are the different levels of government in Canada?
- When have you voted for something before? Think of class or your Scout Group
- Why is it important for people to vote?
- When do people vote in the real world?
- Can everybody vote? Who is able to vote?
- How will you vote for this activity? Will you create ballots? Raise your hands? Place markers in jars marked with the options?
- In this activity, you will learn about how elections work, and will participate in your very own election.
- You will get to create different roles that every youth will be voted into.
- These could be roles like ‘opening leader’, or roles like 'set-upper' and 'take-downer'. You could even vote on which Lair or Patrol will lead the next meeting or choose tonight’s game!
- Once you and the group have created enough roles, each of you will cast a vote for who you think should be in that role.
- You can volunteer for certain roles, and asked to be put into a specific job if you have a top choice!
- If you don’t want to elect (vote) people into roles, what else could you vote on? What activities to do at camp? What adventures you will do next cycle?
- Why do you think it is important that people vote, and that elections are held?
- Do you think more things should be voted on outside of voting people into government?
- How can voting be more accessible to everyone?
- A way to cast votes – paper ballots or labelled jars and small tokens to use for voting
Keep it Simple
- Talk about one level of government's election process only. When it comes time to vote, you can keep it simple by having the Youth vote for something that has a yes/no answer, or other simple options. Alternatively, you could have Scouters run for a role (e.g. which Scouter will help plan something), so that no youth have to feel as though they’re committing to something long-term!
Take it Further
- Discuss how voting works at the different levels of government have different style elections. Learn about how different countries run their elections – what is different around the world? Running a campaign to collect votes for a position you want to be voted into can also expand this activity.