Is there a flavour that better symbolizes spring in Canada than maple? While there’s no doubt pancakes make for a delicious breakfast when camping, we all know that it takes quite a bit of time and effort for prep and clean-up.
For an easy and satisfying alternative, a hearty bowl of porridge is a great way to get your maple fix!
(six servings – one Patrol)
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium apples, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup
- 6 tablespoons of mixed seeds (flax, chia – or whatever the youth prefer)
- Boil six cups of water with a teaspoon of salt.
- Add three cups of rolled oats.
- Simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Halfway through cooking, stir in sliced apples, spices, seeds and maple syrup.
- If you like and have any to spare, add milk or cream to taste when serving.