External Communications Writer
Communications Functional Team — External Communications
- Staff – Social Media & Translation Coordinator
- Staff – Director of Communications
- Appointed every two years by the External Communications leadership team in consultation with the Communications Commissioner and Director of Communications.
Scope of position:
Acts as a member of the Communications Functional Team – External Communications, supporting the Social Media & Translation Coordinator and Director of Communications of Scouts Canada in delivering consistently on our brand promise and the associated national communications priorities. Along with the Creative Services, Internal Communications, Recruitment Campaign and Translation Network streams within the Communications Functional Team, the External Communications stream will contribute to leading the design, implementation and continuous improvement for standardized, integrated and consistent communications for Scouts Canada.
Working closely with the External Communications stream and Communications Functional Team, the External Communications Writer is a self-motivated individual who supports the development of engaging content for external communications properties, including public relations, partner or sponsor materials.
The External Communications Writer also has the exciting opportunity to mentor a participant of Scouts Canada’s Youth Spokesperson Program (YSP). YSPs have the option to develop their professional skills under the guidance of the External Communications Writer, while also contributing their time and skills to support the External Communications Writer’s responsibilities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
- Implement Scouts Canada brand, format and style guide
- Support content development for external campaigns including public relations materials, special projects or partnerships (including social media captioning)
- Collaborate with the Program Functional Team to support the external communications of major events
- Work closely with the staff and volunteer members of the Communications Functional Team
The ideal candidate will have:
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Strong knowledge of Scouts Canada’s organizational values and programming are an asset
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong proofreading skills
- Professional or academic experience in journalism, marketing, communications, public relations or other related fields considered a strong asset
Candidates must have:
- While this role is open to non-Scouts Canada members, the individual must sign our Code of Conduct and may only collaborate with youth under the supervision of two Scouters. This ensures that, at all times, our youth members can enjoy the benefits of Scouting with safety as a priority. Click here for more information.