National Commissioner Scouts Canada
Appointed annually by the National Commissioner via the Public Appointments Process; maximum three-year term
8-10 hours per week (on average), 6 to 7 weekends per year.
SCOPE OF POSITION
The International Commissioner is responsible for leading the strategic development of Scouts Canada’s international relationships and international programme in order to meet Scouts Canada’s long-term vision and strategic plan. Working in partnership with the National Leadership Team and Program staff, the position is responsible for ensuring our international relations, participation in World Scouting events (including World Scout Jamborees, World Scout Moots and other international events where we send a Canadian contingent). In addition, the International Commissioner and his team of Scouters and youth represent Canada to the world, attracting youth from other NSOs to experience Canadian Scouting, as well as other national and international high-quality program opportunities. The International Commissioner also encourages Canadian and International Youth to experience each other’s programs, cultures and countries through joint visits and experiences.
- Lead the strategic development of Scouts Canada’s International relationships outside Canada, through interaction with other National Scout Organizations/Associations (NSO/NSAs) and World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) volunteers and staff.
- Provide strategic leadership and co-ordination of the Scouts Canada external international activities.
- Support the National Leadership Team, Council Teams and Program Commissioner in developing international opportunities within the youth program.
- Structure, motivate and manage a volunteer team to meet the long-term vision and strategic plan related to International Scouting.
- Bring together both volunteer and staff structures to focus, report on, and be accountable for the implementation of plans to meet that long-term vision and strategic plan.
- Advise the Scouts Canada National Leadership Team (NLT) on international matters.
- Contribute as a member of the Scouts Canada National Service Team (NST).
- Proactively support and raise the profile of international opportunities for Scouts Canada’s members. • Support Scouts Canada contingents and representatives at international events.
- Support the development of International aspects of the Canadian Path in conjunction with the Program team.
- Supports the multi-cultural nature of World Scouting and demonstrates sensitivity and openness to all, regardless of background, ethnicity, religious or sexual orientation.
REPRESENT SCOUTS CANADA
The International Commissioner is a member of Scouts Canada’s official delegation to World Scouting events and other international gatherings where our interests need a voice.
- Attendance at Key Conferences and Events is expected:
- Interamerica Regional Conference — every three years (2022)
- World Scout Conference — every three years (2020, 2023)
- The National Key 3
- National Leadership Team
- International Commissioner of l’Association des Scouts du Canada
- International Commissioners of other National Scout Organizations
- Interamerica Region — Committee and staff
- WOSM - volunteers and staff
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong knowledge of Scouts Canada’s programs, Mission, Principles, and Values.
- Proven ability to lead and manage people at a distance and in a voluntary environment.
- Experience contributing to strategy development and identifying practical actions to achieve strategic objectives.
- Strong leadership with excellent team building, mentoring and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing; speak and present publicly in a clear, articulate and motivating way.
- Skills to effectively chair meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage a diverse portfolio and oversee many on-going tasks.
- Demonstrated listening and counselling skills.
- Experience being assertive and coping with challenging situations.
The ability to fluent in English, French and/or Spanish is required. A candidate who is trilingual (English, French, Spanish) would be ideal.
All applicants must be registered or have the ability to become active members of Scouts Canada.
- Previous experience in the effective management and leadership of volunteers
- Previous experience in strategic management in a professional or voluntary capacity
- Previous experience in international Scouting projects and/or activities
Applications for this exciting role will be accepted until Monday, February 24, 2020.
Please send your Scouting resume and background as to why you would be the best candidate to: firstname.lastname@example.org.