National Events Commissioner
Do you have a passion for high-quality Scouting events? If bringing together diverse planning elements to form a robust, high-quality final product is your forte, we want to hear from you!
We are looking for a driven leader to champion and manage the national implementation of the events sub-function within the Program Support team. The National Events Commissioner will work collaboratively with the Associate Director, Program Support to provide strategic direction related to the Event Standards and Event Support team.
Accountable To: The National Key 3 and, as delegated for day-to-day operations, to the Director of Scouting Experience.
Term: Appointed annually by National Key 3 (NK3) for no more than three (3) consecutive terms.
Time required: 15-25 hours per month (on average) and 4 to 6 weekends per year.
The National Events Commissioner role has two major components:
Subject Matter Expert Responsible for the Scouts Canada Events Standard including all associated:
- Materials for guidance under the Business Process.
Manage events (e.g. regional/national jamboree) standards, procedures, processes, and national accreditation/support.
A key action will be to develop and maintain a progressive or scaled guidance for applying the standard differently for high, medium and low-risk events (as per above).
Team leader for the National network of (Major & Local) Event Support Scouters.
- Manage, coach, and mentor a team of regional-based volunteers focused on providing event support.
- Recruit and onboard new volunteers.
- Provide personal development opportunities for team members.
First-year goals and key deliverables:
- Develop remaining 10% of procedures, tools, sub-processes, and materials.
- Cultivate a robust national network of Event Support Scouters; a minimum of 10-20 drawn from across the country.
- Successfully lead the implementation of Event Standards nationwide, including assembly and execution of a change management plan that meets all key stakeholders' needs.
- Establish long-, medium- and short-term strategic plan for events sub-function.
The National Events Commissioner will:
- Work in tandem with the Associate Director and other Program Support sub-function commissioners (Scouter Development, Outdoor Adventure Support, and In-Section support) to drive the Program Support mandate
- Function as an Ambassador for Scouts Canada, the Program Support team, and the National Service team.
- Be a dependable subject matter expert for Event support and the Event Standards.
- Participate in a number of planning meetings/Townhalls with key stakeholders across the organization.
- Support the organization of major and local events in both leading and background roles.
- Measure success against key performance indicators.
- Operate using the Plan-Do-Review model and Scouting Method.
- Attend events of varying scale, as necessary.
The ideal candidate will:
- Be committed to Scouts Canada's program—The Canadian Path—including the Four Key Elements: Adventure, Plan-Do-Review, SPICES and Youth-led.
- Have experience with Scouts Canada event management and
- Have extensive experience with project management, PMP designation is an asset.
- Understand change management processes.
- Have experience with strategic and tactical planning.
- Demonstrate leadership, problem-solving, decision-making skills.
- Possess strong people management skills.
- Be well organized with a proven ability relating to planning/coordination.
- Have a positive mindset with a willingness to adapt to changes.
- Be a team player with a coachable personality.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal and excellent communication skills.
- Model positive behaviours appropriate to Scouting.
- Be an active member of Scouts Canada (or be eligible and willing to become active)
- Other duties as required by the National Key 3 or the Director of Scouting Experience
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com.