Social Media Advisor — Coach
Communications Functional Team — External Communications
- Staff – Social Media & Translation Coordinator
- Staff – Director of Communications
- Appointed every two years by the External Communications leadership team in consultation with the Communications Commissioner and Director of Communications.
Scope of position:
Acts as a member of the Communications Functional Team – External Communications, supporting the Social Media & Translation Coordinator and Director of Communications of Scouts Canada in delivering consistently on our brand promise and the associated national communications priorities. Along with the Creative Services, Internal Communications, Recruitment Campaign and Translation Network streams within the Communications Functional Team, the External Communications stream will contribute to leading the design, implementation and continuous improvement for standardized, integrated and consistent communications for Scouts Canada.
Working closely with the External Communications stream and Communications Functional Team, the Social Media Advisor – Coach is a self-motivator who leads social media best practices implementation, blending the Social Media Advisor role with a coaching component.
This role requires knowledge of Scouts Canada’s organizational values and programming, and involves working closely with our membership through organized social media webinars to empower volunteers to manage their own Scouts Canada Sections, Group, Council or camp pages.
The Social Media Advisor – Coach also has the exciting opportunity to mentor a participant of Scouts Canada’s Youth Spokesperson Program (YSP). YSPs have the option to develop their professional skills under the guidance of the Social Media Advisor – Coach, while also contributing their time and skills to support the Social Media Advisor – Coach’s responsibilities.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
- Nurture healthy community engagement on Scouts Canada’s national social media pages
- Engage with and address feedback and inquiries in a timely manner
- Source user-generated content for social media channels
- Support copy development for post captions
- Advise on best practices
- Flag inappropriate content or discussion to the Social Media & Translation Coordinator
- Contribute to the development of, and lead, the Social Media Best Practices webinars for Scouts Canada’s membership, and oversee organization of webinar logistics
- Work closely with the staff and volunteer members of the External and Internal Communications streams
The ideal candidate will have:
- Proficiency with computers and mobile apps, especially Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Strong knowledge of Scouts Canada’s organizational values and programming
- Excellent organization, initiative, communication and interpersonal skills
- Professional or academic experience in social media, digital marketing, communications and other related fields considered a strong asset
Candidates must have:
- Must have a Facebook profile in order to be added as an administrator to Scouts Canada’s business page
- Must be knowledgeable of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter functionalities, Hootsuite or Sprout Social considered an asset.
- Must have volunteer Scouter clearance according to Scouts Canada’s safety standards. Click here for more information.