Social Media Moderator
Communications Functional Team — Internal Communications
- Volunteer – Internal Communications Commissioner
- Staff – Program Communications Associate
- Appointed every two years by the Internal Communications leadership team in consultation with the Communications Commissioner and Director of Communications.
Scope of position:
Acts as a member of the Communications Functional Team – Internal Communications, supporting the Internal Communications Commissioner and Program Communications Associate of Scouts Canada in delivering consistently on our brand promise and the associated national communications priorities. Along with the Creative Services, External Communications, Recruitment Campaign and Translation Network streams within the Communications Functional Team, the Internal Communications stream will contribute to leading the design, implementation and continuous improvement for standardized, integrated and consistent communications for Scouts Canada.
Working closely with the Internal Communications stream and Communications Functional Team, the Social Media Moderators facilitate healthy and constructive conversations on Scouts Canada’s Facebook discussion group pages, while also managing member inquiries and feedback.
This role requires knowledge of Scouts Canada’s organizational values and programming, and often involves responding to questions commonly addressed on our Online Support Centre, and managing membership feedback, concerns or inquiries on discussion group timelines.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILTIES
- Working as a team to ensure ongoing moderator coverage of national discussion groups on Facebook, with possibility of assisting with other social media platforms.
- Upholding the group guidelines, including the Code of Conduct and Scout Law, following escalation process to address issues.
- Approving new members after confirming SC membership status via questions, cross-referencing MyScouts.
- General ongoing group maintenance, ie: reviewing flagged messages, regular cover image updates, linked groups, etc.
- Monitor group conversations and weighing in where appropriate with links to information, contact names/email addresses, and common sense.
- Liaising with the Social Media team, providing feedback, general reports & user-generated content
- Sharing Scouts Canada social media content, partner posts, or other interesting posts per content plan, or where appropriate, generating conversation and seeking volunteer input.
- Help continue to grow the group(s) into a valuable tool by and for volunteers.
- Nurture healthy community engagement of Scouts Canada members on Facebook discussion groups
- Engage with and address feedback and inquiries in a timely manner
- Flag inappropriate content or discussion to the Internal Communications Commissioner.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Membership service and adaptability skills
- Strong knowledge of Scouts Canada’s organizational values and programming
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Candidates must have:
- Must have a Facebook profile in order to be added as an administrator to Scouts Canada’s business page
- Must have volunteer Scouter clearance according to Scouts Canada’s safety standards. Click here for more information.
- Advanced Facebook user/Experience moderating Facebook groups or other social media channels
- Willing to moderate heated situations, applying common sense, SC guidelines and practices
- Experience fostering teamwork, culture and accountability
- Ability to work with a diverse audience reflecting different stakeholder groups
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; experience with Non-Violent Communication principles an asset
- Ability to work collaboratively, in an open, virtual environment, and positively contribute to a team environment using positive, professional tact and judgement
- Ability to organize and maintain peer networks; and
- Ability to make decisions / interact with volunteers.
- Access to mobile technology preferred.