- What materials will you need for this activity? Where will you get these materials?
- Where will you get the supplies that you need?
- Obtain an empty clear glass bottle and a kitchen vacuum pump.
- Place a tiny amount of air into a very small balloon.
- Tie off the balloon and insert it into the bottle.
- Use the vacuum pump to pull air out of the bottle – what happens to the balloon?
- How does the balloon represent a person? What would happen to a person without protection in space?
- Discuss the importance of pressurized aircraft and space suits.
- What other kinds of environments require pressurized suits? (deep sea diving, scuba diving, etc.)
- Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
- Clear glass bottle
- Kitchen vacuum pump
- Small balloon
Keep it Simple
- Build your own space suit out of materials you have at home.
Take it Further
- Visit https://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Vacuum-Chamber-for-Experiments/ for more experiments with vacuums.