- How will you get access to a language learning platform?
- How will you make sure everyone in the Section can be involved?
- What supplies will you need for this activity?
- What languages will you explore?
- Communicating in a new language can be very difficult, but it’s sometimes a challenge we face, especially when traveling.
- Pick a language and try to learn some common phrases (like “Hello” and “Can you help me find this?”) in that language.
- Practice the phrases with others in your Section.
- How did it feel to say such different sounds and words?
- Which languages were the most difficult to speak?
- How did it feel to not understand what others were saying to you?
Keep it Simple
- Take a voice note of you speaking and compare it with the real phrase. How close do they sound? Keep recording to practice your new words.
Take it Further
- How articulate do your phrases sounds in the language? Use a translator platform and test if it can translate your phrases back to English. Try finding an international Scout who speaks that language to keep practicing or watch your next movie in that language to see what you can pick up.