- What animal or insect will you build a shelter for?
- Where will you find instructions or plans for your building?
- What tools will you need? What special skills will you need to learn to use them? Who can help you find out how to use these tools safely?
- Where will you put your creation after it’s done?
- Select an animal or insect to help and learn what kind of home you could build for them.
- There are many small projects which you could take on, including bird houses and bee hotels. You may be able to buy kits for some of these items or may have to make them from scratch for an added challenge.
- How did your project turn out? How well did it match your expectations?
- If you were to make an animal habitat again, what would you do differently?
- How can you do this project again and get more people involved?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Link with another Section in your Group for help with building the projects. Check on your project throughout the year to see if a creature has moved in. Just make sure you do this in a way that won’t disturb any inhabitants!
Take it Further
- Consider pairing up with a partner organization like a wildlife group or conservation authority to create a larger-scale project, like loon nesting platforms.