- What area will you map?
- What tools will you use to find out about the features of your area?
- How will you create your map?
- Using a map of your community or another area near you, identify what elements make this a perfect habitat for an animal or plant of your choice.
- What elements do you see? Distance to water? Distance from human activity?
- What can you do to help keep these elements present?
- What were the most important features of the habitat you mapped?
- What effect do humans have on the habitat that you mapped?
- How does the health of one species in this area affect other species?
Keep it Simple
- Draw, sculpt or paint a habitat for an animal of your choice. What elements have you included in it? Why? How do you know what to include for different kinds of animals?
Take it Further
- Do you know of any areas or trails that need to be mapped? Does your community have a map with all of its features on it? Find out about map-making and create a map that you think would be helpful to your community or area.