- Where and when will you do this activity?
- What materials will you need for this adventure?
- How many people are taking part? How can everyone light fires while Leaving No Trace?
- What skills do you already have for fire-lighting and what skills would you like to learn?
- What items will you need to take with you for safety as well as for fire lighting?
- Responsibly gather natural kindling and fuel (Leave No Trace)
- Lay fire
- Light fire using only one match
- Tend fire; ensure it is established
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did you handle this activity?
- What would you do differently in the future?
- How did you feel during this challenge?
- What were some highlights?
Keep it Simple
- Practice building different kinds of fires – log cabins, lean-tos, star fires, etc. and finding which style is the best for you!
Take it Further
- If this sounds too easy, try adding another layer of challenge by only using natural materials to build your fire – even for tinder!
- Challenge the other members of your Section to quickly build efficient fires by seeing who can build a fire and boil a small pot of water the fastest.