- What materials or equipment do you need for this activity?
- What do you need to wear for this activity?
- How can you stay safe near water
- What species do you expect to find? How will you return them properly to their home?
- Grab your nets and rubber boots, and get pond dipping in a local stream or another waterway.
- What can you find? How many different species can you see?
- You can discover a lot about the health of a stream by what species you find, what species you don’t find and the cleanliness of the water.
- What was the most interesting thing you found in the water?
- What effects of people and industry were around or in the water?
- How can you help keep our waters clean and healthy?
Keep it Simple
- Use a light-coloured pail or tub to take a look at a group of species you find. You can discover a lot about the health of a stream by what species you find, what species you don’t find and the cleanliness of the water. Explore the tub to find out more about the different species, vegetation and rocks found in streams.
Take it Further
- Share your findings with the community where the stream is located, and maybe even suggest some options to help keep it clean and thriving. Try testing the local water, and even join the EarthEcho Water Challenge or Water Rangers to document your findings.