- Where will you share this adventure?
- How can you leave no trace on this scavenger hunt?
- How will you identify different kinds of cones, seeds, leaves, twigs and bark?
- On your own or in pairs, take some time in nature to collect souvenirs of the trees you can name.
- You might collect an acorn and share that you know it came from an oak tree, and a maple key can represent a maple tree. Don't pull anything off of a living tree, make sure you collect your items from the ground. You could also take a photo of the tree, rather than taking anything.
- But do you know the difference between a cone from a white pine and a cone from a white spruce?
- Leave living trees be. Taking leaves, bark or seeds from living trees isn’t good for them.
- Be sure to leave the things you collect where you are before heading home after your adventure.
- Identify as many trees as you can! Who can name the most?
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What was your favourite part of this adventure?
- How did you leave no trace on this adventure?
- Why is it important to leave no trace when playing games like this one?
- What surprised you?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Did you find any beautiful leaves while doing this activity? Preserve them for a scrapbook or other craft by waxing them!
Take it Further
- How many different trees did you see? Take note of them and keep track of the different species of trees. As you see more trees, add to your list!