- How will you share your answers in this activity?
- What do you need to be successful?
- How much time do you need to complete this activity?
- Tell the group that you will be deciding on a leader and that everyone will vote.
- The leader will help with things like fire drills, important tasks, and be “in charge” of certain things to help.
- Discuss with the group what qualities a leader possesses.
- After discussion, tell the group they will be voting whether the leader should be a boy or girl (this can be done anonymously)
- After the results are in, discuss why some people think a leader should be a boy/girl and ask if they think that it’s fair or hurtful.
- Talk about both males and females that are in roles of leadership and the qualities that each possess (Politics, Teachers or Principals, etc.)
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- What would you change next time?
- What are some qualities that you possess that make you a good leader?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- Make a list of leaders from around the world. What qualities do they share that make them a good leader?
Take it Further
- Consider talking about International Women’s Day, Women’s Month and connecting it to women in power/ women that have had an influence in the world as leaders (Harriet Tubman, Rosa Parks, Malala Yousafzai, etc.)