- How is electricity used in the kitchen?
- Is electricity often used when not necessary? Which kitchen electrical devices could be replaced with non-electrical items?
- Before electricity was common, how was food cooked or kept cold?
- Come up with a meal that does not require any electricity (or as little electricity as possible)
- Cook this meal for your Section or family
- How did your meal turn out? Was it more difficult without the use of electricity?
- During what stages of cooking was it easy to reduce electricity usage?
- During what stages of cooking was it difficult to reduce electricity usage?
Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map
Keep it Simple
- While at an outdoor camp, you might be better prepared to cook a meal without electricity. Try cooking a meal on a fire to avoid using electricity or man-made fuel.
Take it Further
- Are you and your family prepared for an emergency situation? What is your family’s plan for meals if there is along power outage for a couple of days? Come up with an emergency plan for this situation if you don’t already have one.