- What storybooks will you read?
- Who will read the books?
- How long will this activity take?
- Read some stories to the group/ have them take turns reading.
- Discuss if the character acts like what we are used to, or if they act differently.
- Talk about how these characters fall outside of the “norm” and what the “norm” really is (gender stereotypes).
- Have the group create a character for a storybook that doesn’t fit into a stereotype.
- After the characters are created, share them with the group.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- Do you think the stories would change if there were different characters?
- What would you change next time?
Storybooks with different characters in them - picture books work best!
Keep it Simple
Have the group re-enact some of the stories with the genders flipped. Is there a difference? Does it affect the story at all?
Take it Further
Using the character that you have created, write a story about them. Think about the qualities that you want your character to have.