- What materials do you need for the activity?
- What will you add to your Sub-Zero Ornament?
- How will you stay safe in this activity?
- Start by finding some materials to add to your ornaments. Try to make them natural so you can Leave No Trace.
- Think flowers, leaves, sticks, pinecones, or maybe even fruits and seeds? A tasty treat for the birds when your ornaments melt!
- Add your items to a muffin tin with some string or ribbon hanging out of them. You can use any molds you have – maybe unique shapes and sizes?
- Pour room temperature water into the molds!
- Place them outside (or in the freezer if it is not cold enough) and wait for your beautiful ornaments to freeze.
- Once frozen, pull out your Ice Ornaments and decorate your bare trees outside!
- What did you enjoy most about making your Sub-Zero Ornaments?
- What was your favourite added item?
- What might you do differently next time?
- Remember to submit your activities on our Scouts for Sustainability Take Action Map to the Review section.
- Muffin tin (or other molds)
- Twine or String
- Organic/natural colourful materials (flowers, fruits, seeds, etc.)
Keep it Simple
- Keep it small and simple by using an ice-cube tray mold and adding food colouring for small but colourful decorations! This could easily be done indoors.
Take it Further
- Make larger sun-catcher style ornaments by using aluminum pie tins as your molds! These will be much heavier, so be mindful where you place them.