- What do you need to be successful?
- How much time do you need to complete this activity?
- How many job/matches will you need to have enough for the group?
- Create a list of jobs (titles and definitions) and make matching cards (this could be something done before the activity).
- Distribute the cards around the group randomly so no one knows what cards they have.
- Walk around the room and try to find the match to your card (ex. One card may say “firefighter” and the matching card could say “a person whose job is to extinguish fires”)
- Once you have found your match, discuss if you believe this job belongs to a man, a woman, or any gender. Talk about why this stereotype could hurt people?
- What did you learn about inequality?
- What can you do to challenge the stereotypes in your everyday life?
- How can you change your vocabulary to be inclusive of all gender?
Pre-made job and definition cards, or cards and drawing materials to make them during the meeting
Keep it Simple
Are there some jobs that you think only men do? What about jobs that only women do? Challenge yourself to think of ways that everyone can do different jobs and try our Job Creator activity!
Take it Further
Research the different jobs that you have matched and see what the % is of different genders that work in that industry.