What topics will you put in the hat? Will they share a theme?
- As a team, brainstorm a list of topics. The topics should be things that everyone on the team know something about.
- Write down all the topics on pieces of paper and put them into a hat.
- On your turn, pull a topic from the hat.
- You have 30 seconds to prepare for what you are going to say.
- Speak for a minute on your topic.
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How would having more time to prepare have helped you perform better or feel more comfortable?
- Sometimes you don’t get a lot of time to prepare what you’re going to say or how you’re going to respond. What did you learn that you’ll want to remember next time you have to speak on the fly?
Keep it Simple
Some people might need a bit more time to prepare what they’re going to say. If people need more time or need to write down some speaking points, that’s ok!
Take it Further
Thinking on your feet is a big part of leadership. Play some improv games to practice going with the flow and thinking quickly!