Board of Governors Approved May 5, 2018
Outlines Scouts Canada’s national process for working with donors and sponsors who support our mission at the Area, Council, and National levels.
At Scouts Canada, we build mutually beneficial relationships with our sponsors and gratefully acknowledge the gifts of our donors.
1. We work with donors and sponsors whose values generally align with our brand and values.
2. We will treat every donor and sponsor with respect.
3. We will protect the confidential information of donors and sponsors to the extent provided by Canadian law and in accordance with donor/sponsor wishes.
4. Areas and Councils must coordinate their acceptance of gifts and the negotiation of sponsorship agreements with the national office.
- Fundraising for Group initiatives is managed through the Group Fundraising Policy and its related procedures.
5. To help maintain our charitable status, all gifts to us must comply with the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
6. Before we accept a gift, we will ensure the donor understands:
- Their right to receive independent professional advice
- How their gift will be used
7. Where appropriate, we enter into gift agreements with donors.
8. Prior to accepting any donation, we will evaluate its value, our ability to use the gift, and any potential impacts on Scouts Canada such as costs, liability, tax implications, and conflicts of interest.
9. We will issue tax receipts for qualifying gifts (donations) in a timely manner.
10. We reserve the right to decline any gift for any reason.
11. We thank all donors for their gifts in a timely and appropriate manner.
12. All sponsors must sign a sponsorship agreement with us prior to announcing a partnership or using any aspect of Scouts Canada’s name, logo, or other branding.
13. Prior to signing a sponsorship agreement, we will evaluate the opportunity for any potential, real, or perceived conflicts of interest.
14. We do not provide product or service endorsements, except as agreed in a signed sponsorship agreement.
15. Sponsors may only use Scouts Canada’s name, logo, or other branding within the specific, written parameters of the sponsorship agreement.
16. All sponsorship agreements must be approved by the Executive Commissioner/Chief Executive Officer.
17. At all times, we will retain our independent position on public policy issues and concerns.