- Is there a local expert who can show your Crew the wild edibles that can be found in your area?
- What other resources can you use?
- When and where will you learn about wild edibles?
- When and where will you gather wild edibles for a meal? Will this be an individual or a team challenge? How will you prepare what you’ve gathered?
- This is something best done with expert help. Reach out to a local camping or survival group, or speak to your Scouters and see if they can help you find the resources you need.
- Work with your expert to learn what can and cannot be eaten around you.
- Don’t forget to look up! There are lots of fruit and nut bearing trees in Canada – which ones can you find?
- Gather wild edibles – see if you can gather enough for a meal!
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- Did you learn about any new wild edibles that you particularly enjoyed?
- What were the favourite foods of others? Was there anything the group as a whole liked best?
Keep it Simple
- Rather than going the whole way and eating what you’ve found, take photos of the different wild edibles around you and make a book with pictures and descriptions.
Take it Further
- Host an iron chef challenge with wild edibles as your secret ingredient! Pick the edibles in advance so that everyone is sure of what is what and doesn’t pick anything dangerous. What great meals can you make suing your wild edibles?