- Do you want to do this adventure indoors, outdoors or at camp?
- What are some different ways you communicate with other people?
- How can you use sound to find someone?
- How will you make groups of two?
- In pairs, decide on a team sound. This can be anything you want, as long as you will recognize it. You could clap your hands, whistle a tune or make a beeping sound.
- With your partner, choose who will wear the blindfold first. Now you’re ready to play.
- If your partner is the leader, he or she will slowly walk away from you making your team sound.
- With the blindfold on, try to follow the sound to stay with your partner.
- How can you play this game with a bigger group?
- What do you know now that you did not know before?
- How did you work together to explore your sense of hearing?
- Did you find it easy or difficult to follow the sound of your partner? Why?
Keep it Simple
- Using two empty paper towel rolls and one aluminum pie plate, experiment with sound waves by whispering through the tubes, and hearing the sounds bounce off of the pie plate to the other person! How clearly can you hear the message?
Take it Further
- Learn about how different animals use echolocation. Teach the other members of your Section about how than animal uses echolocation!